A friend of mine a while back shared a cool little hack with me. How to max out your bonus space on Dropbox by using Adwords. (Note: I am on the 50GB plan, where you can max out and additional 16GB by having 32 friends sign up and install Dropbox.)
Sign into your Google Adwords account and create a new campaign.
- First select the countries, I went with all, but took out China and a couple other ones – honestly I don’t think this made much of a difference.
- For languages I chose: English, French, Japanese, German and Spanish.
- Select all Networks and all Devices.
- Your budget should max out at $20/day (you won’t need to run this campaign for more than 1-2 days).
- For the keywords, I ran with the following list: dropbox, free online storage, online backup free, online backup, online backup data, and dropbox space:
- I maxed out all CPC at $.05. As you can see above the average CPC was actually $.03.
- I ran two different ad copies which you can see below. I focused on the word ‘free’ and the ’2.25GBs’ that one would get with signing up.
This campaign ran for roughly one and a half days and ended up costing a whopping $9.80. So this now gets me an extra 16GB for life for less than $10, I’ll take it! Check out the data below. You’ll see that actually a lot more people signed up, but not everyone made it through the process of installing and getting Dropbox up.
Proof of the pudding: